Thursday, September 8, 2011

Those woods look scary: Reflection 6


My first thought while reading is "this must be old. No one has Walkman's anymore" we now live in the era of ipod, mp3s, and satellite radio. My second thought was those woods behind my house do look pretty scary. Not so much for fear of insects, snakes, or panthers but rather more of the homicidal bums that I highly suspect live in every unoccupied expanse murdering all those who venture in. While I also believe that free riders are parasitic in nature, I am surprised the author points out Woody Allen and I wonder if he was ever sued over it.
Being a fervent zombie or apocalypse phobe, I find several reasons in making myself marketable to the survivors as well as essential to my own survival. The more skills you possess: gardening, marksmanship, able to purify water, or store food the more likely it is that you will live. I hope my life is never in such dire circumstances but I see no loss in learning to be prepared. So I read up on things like this. Woody Allen would not be allowed in my post apocalyptic tribe unless he has further skills to offer.
My particular topophilia is not solid. I love both the city and the country. Six months in one and a long for the other. And visa versa. Which is a main component in why I have not bought a house. I don't know where is right for me. I love the diversity of the city and the serenity of the country. The propensity for martial law, plagues, or zombies is significantly less or at least slower reaching in the city and that brings me some sense of peace yet knowing my neighbors can't hear me scream, there's gunshots that raise no alarm, and with out street lights the night gets really dark does not comfort me.
I had never before heard the word anthropocentrism. I absolutely believe that animals feel the range of motions that people do. I also agree with animals propensity for joy. Ever meet a dog that has a bad day? every minute of their life is like the best minute of their life. People should take note in how to derive so much joy from the mundane.
Oooh learning so much. Definitely had never heard the meaning of the Greek terms eros, agape, and philia. But I am also not sure I have ever heard those terms before period. I see the human-nature relationship as a agape. We simply would not be here with out nature and nature does not need us to be here to sustain on its own. This is a one sided relationship.
Who do we have as modern biophils? The crocodile hunter? He died. Ummm... Captain Planet. He is fictional. Al Gore? I suppose he counts as a good one. Not many names come to mind though. I do like this author exponentially more than the previous but I disagree that the two barriers between us and the revolution are denial and imagination. Imagination I can accept as I can not "imagine" a way to end world hunger, or deforestation, etc. However the denial aspect, I feel there are very few people who are still living in denial that we have a problem and that something must be done. Perhaps this article is author a few years old. Pre-Al Gore. Haha.
Suprisingly for me or maybe not so much knowing myself much of what authors say of "we think this and we need that" is already clear to me. There is no way to fix the environment by throwing money at it. It will not take place in a single hour on a single day. It has always been clear to me that the steps are grass roots, individual, small, and unnoticeable making the right choices every day towards the benefit of something I can't see of feel is indeed an abstract concept.
Rootedness as the most important and least recognized need for the human soul. Interesting. For me, only time will tell as I have no solid roots. Maybe a few bushes at best (SWFL, Tomah WI-my hometown, Milwaukee- my favorite place minus all the cold).
I bet this guy listened to the Beatles a lot.
I chose that picture because I thought it illustrated the balance of humans, plants, and animals and how we need to tread lightly. Also, that we need to be looking at all of the flora and fauna in a new way.

No comments:

Post a Comment